Interview Anyalsis
Below will show my results from asking a vareity of different people within my target audience and from asking 10 people from the group. My main reason for asking these questions is to give me a insight into what people like.
Question One
What Gender are you?
Person One: (Kim) Male
Person Two: (Jamie) Female
Person Three: (Luke) Male
Person Four: (Chrissie) Female
Person Five: (Brandon) Male
Person Six: (Shirley) Female
Person Seven: (Jenny) Female
Person Eight: (Callum) Male
Person Nine: (James) Male
Question one was asking what gender my age group were and this was to see what if there would be a difference in the results and from this you can see I have asked 5 males and 5 females and I will now need to look in-depth at the rest of their results.
Question Two
What attracts you to Slasher films?
Person One: “they are very interesting and make you think half of the time and their very clever”
Person Two: “the thrills and tension”
Person Three: “they build pace and tension a lot”
Person Four: “they’re good entertainment”
Person Five: “they keep you on the edge on your seat”
Person Six: “the ambience and their good to frighten yourself”
Person Seven: “a psychopathic killer”
Person Eight “the tension and the fast pace”
Person Nine: “creepiness of the play”
This question was asking why people what Slasher films and what attracts them to. From the results it has shown me that most people what Slasher films due to the tension that it builds. My main reason on asking this question was to help me to see what they would like to see within a Slasher film as this would help me within my Slasher film. The results have also shown me that the same thing would attract the audience and this didn’t change just because of their gender. I will now look at the next question asking what their favourite Slasher film was to see if the results may vary depending on their gender.
Question Three
What is your favourite Slasher film?
Person One: “The ring”
Person Two: “The messengers”
Person Three: “Saw”
Person Four: “Nightmare on Elm Street”
Person Five: “Saw”
Person Six: “Nightmare on Elm Street”
Person Seven: “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”
Person Eight: “Nightmare on Elm Street”
Person Nine: “Halloween”
I decided to ask this question to see if their was a difference in what people wanted depending on their age although from the results they are varied and don’t follow a structure although it does show that persons four and six which were both female and their favourite film was “Nightmare on Elm street” and person three and five their favourite film was “Saw” and they were both male. From this question it has shown me what their favourite film was although I will now need to look at if they have watched it more than once and if they have why.
Question Four
Have you watched it more than once & what attracts you to watch it?
Person One: “I have only watched it once but its very clever and its interesting to watch”
Person Two: “yes, because its scary and jumpy and one of those on your edge seats”
Person Three: “yes, every time you watch it you pick up something new”
Person Four: “yes because it never gets old”
Person Five: “yes I have because of the variety of different killings”
Person Six: “no”
Person Seven: “yes, three times because it’s funny to watch as its fake”
Person Eight: “no because its removes some of the scare and surprise from it”
Person Nine: “yes because its John Carpenter at his best and is directed beautifully and shows that anywhere can be made to be scary”
I wanted to know peoples opinions of this film because I wanted to know if there was a similar thing that made people want to watch it. From looking at the results I have found out that everyone liked the Slasher films for different reasons and everyone apart from three people had watched the film more than once for several different reasons and one person even said they had watched it “three times because its funny to watch as its fake” which I thought was a unusual answer. I will now need to go in to depth to see what part of the film was most prominent for them.
Question Five
What would you consider to be the most prominent moment of the film and why?
Person One: “probably when the girl comes out of the hole in the ground with blood on her face and stumbles into the forest”
Person Two: “when all of the older characters kill the man who killed everyone else as it finishes of the story nicely”
Person Three: “I like the way it chill characters to make the scary”
Person Four: “when it goes into the dreams and back into real life”
Person Five: “the killing because it’s done in extraordinary ways”
Person Six: “when they reveal who the murderer is”
Person Seven: “Kirk enters the house when you know he shouldn’t it is classic”
Person Eight: “the end of the film when the girl thinks its going to be alright and the car pulls up and she gets in and it crushes her and its like the killer in the nightmare has caught up with her”
Person Nine: “just the way it’s filmed the way its all from his point of view”
From this question I wanted to discover what people considered to be the most prominent moment of the film basically why they remembered it. There is a varied opinion on why they remember it although from the results the issue of death or imminent death is something that reoccurs with the majority of the answers. One of the answers which was interesting was the response from person nine (James) said the way in which it was filmed was more effective and I thought this was unusual although something to consider as this person liked the idea of this being a more prominent moment. I will now look at the next question to see what effects where used within the film and why they considered them effective.
Question Six
What effects were used within the film and why did you consider it effective?
Person One: “probably maybe lighting”
Person Two: “there were a lot of flashbacks which explain the characters and a lot of jumping around between the scenes”
Person Three: “the way in which saw uses flashbacks to give you more of an outline of the story”
Person Four: “the way in which when they are in the bedroom fire and stuff is used”
Person Five: “the story behind the characters”
Person Six: “music, masks”
Person Seven: “the climax and anti-climax”
Person Eight: “the dream sequence as it makes it more personal to you and you can connect to it a lot more.
Person Nine: “the use of different camera shots”
This question was meant to allow me to gather a insight into what effects they would notice within a Slasher film of their choice. From this information I have found out that everyone had a different opinion on stuff that they notice. An example of this is the use of “the climax and anti-climax” compared to the use of “flashbacks” which is something that a couple of people noticed. This question will help me with any further information with my own film as these are all things that I could use and would be effective.
Question Seven
What sort of killer would you least expect?
Person One: “a teenager”
Person Two: “perhaps a younger character maybe”
Person Three: “an elderly lady”
Person Four: “a old man”
Person Five: “women”
Person Six: “a downtrodden women”
Person Seven: “a terrorist”
Person Eight: “an older person”
Person Nine: “probably someone who’s involved with the main characters”
The main reason for asking this question was to help me find someone for my own Slasher film as I want someone who is going to effective and unexpected and it was also good to see out of 10 people which of them thought certain people would make a effective killer. The results show that 3 out of the 9 thought a older character would be effective and 2 people thought that a women would be effective which is something I thought was helpful.
Question Eight
Do you feel something is missing within a Slasher film?
Person One: “sometimes they can be a bit to poorly directed and sometimes they are not as clever and the plot is basic”
Person Two: “something with a twist like the killer starts hurting them so they are not thought of to be the killer”
Person Three: “no”
Person Four: “no”
Person Five: “no”
Person Six: “no”
Person Seven: “no”
Person Eight: “sometimes the plot isn’t very complicated and is basic”
Person Nine: “I guess you could use issues to scare people”
From these results asking if anything is missing I have found out that 5 out of the 9 people thought that nothing was missing within a Slasher film although 2 of the four people thought the plot was basic and the other two people thought that using a twist for people to start killing themselves would make the story more original and this is something I thought was interesting and by also using the theme of using people issues something they are scared off would be something that people would empathise with as this will create tension. These results have helped me when producing something original. I will now look some other things which could help me.
Question Nine
Do you feel non diegetic music is effective?
Person One: “I prefer not to have any music”
Person Two: “yes”
Person Three: “yes”
Person Four: “Yes”
Person Five: “yes because it creates tension”
Person Six: “yes”
Person Seven: “yes the music is the best”
Person Eight: “urm yerh”
Person Nine: “it could work quite well without it”
From this question which is asking if non diegetic music adds tension I have found out that 7 out of 9 people would prefer non diegetic music and only 2 thought that it could work without using non diegetic music which has shown me that my target audience would prefer to have music playing. It has also me that the 2 that didn’t want music were both males. I am now going to look at the next questions asking where the murderers could take place.
Question Ten
Where would you like the murders to take place?
Person One: “forest, or maybe somewhere like a office building”
Person Two: “in a typical place like a graveyard or maybe somewhere unique like a beach”
Person Three: “in my house”
Person Four: “in my garden”
Person Five: “somewhere unusual, e.g. a rugby field”
Person Six: “ in the middle of a forest”
Person Seven: “in the forest”
Person Eight: “probably somewhere conventional like a forest or a castle”
Person Nine: “somewhere unexpected, maybe someone’s house”
I wanted to ask this question to find out more information on where the murders could take place and if it would be somewhere conventional or if people wanted them to be somewhere different. From this question it has shown me that most people wouldn’t mind it in either places it would just depend on the action taking place and this is something that appealed to me. From this question asking where they would like them to take place it has also shown me that it wouldn’t be as difficult to find somewhere to film. I am now going to look at the characters themselves.
Question Eleven
Would you like more information on the victims i.e the background?
Person One: “if I like the character than yes”
Person Two: “I think the less you know the more mysterious it is”
Person Three: “no because Saw describes them pretty well”
Person Four: “ I think they should have more information on the victims after”
Person Five: “Yes”
Person Six: “Yes”
Person Seven: “Yes”
Person Eight: “for the victims yes”
Person Nine: “yes, maybe because the audience will like them and then be really sad when there dead”
From looking at these results asking if people would like more information on the victims 8 out of 9 people thought that having more information on the victims would be helpful. This is something that is has appealed to me as it allowed me to gain more of a insight into what people like/want within a Slasher film. I feel the only comment “no because Saw explains it well” is specific to the type of film. The final question I want to ask is what narrative people would like to see.
Question Twelve
Do you like a linear or non-linear narrative?
Person One: “linear”
Person Two: “non-linear”
Person Three: “non-linear”
Person Four: “non-linear”
Person Five: “linear”
Person Six: “ linear”
Person Seven: “linear”
Person Eight: “linear”
Person Nine: “iv never seen a Slasher film with a non-linear narrative so I would be interested in seeing that”
I wanted this as my final question as it allows me to see what sort of narrative I should use within my Slasher film. 5 out of the 9 people wanted to see a linear narrative as this is common for Slasher films although 4 people wanted to see non linear narrative because they have never seen them before. Overall I feel this question is important as it allows me to set the narrative for my own Slasher films. The final person I asked said that they didnt mind either type of narrative. From the interview anyaylis I am going to have to make sure that I use the coventions that I have discovered from some of my target audience.
Example Textual Analysis
16 years ago
A good effort has been made to discover tastes of the target audience. Consideration of devloping an idea with a unique selling point is evident and links have been continually made between the idea and the audience.
ReplyDelete