Focus Group Analysis
Below shows my focus group analysis and what my focus group thought of my three ideas and what they thought could be done to improve the ideas.
Question One
What is your name and age?
“Eboney and I am 16”
“Jess and im 15”
“Lana and im 17”
“Jack and im 15”
“Ben and im 16”
“Alex and im 18”
“Beth and im 16”
I wanted to find out how old the focus group were so I could find out their options to see what there was a change of option depending on age group. I have also ask their name so its easier to find out each other options. The gender is also something I need to discover as my target audience are both genders so I need to ask a similar amount of both men and women. I have then explained idea one to my focus group and I will now ask them about idea one?
Question Two
From my idea one what did you like about it?
From these remarks asking what they liked about idea one I have found out that they liked the use of the cliff-hanger at the end of the film and thought this worked well. The use of the murders not being seen just heard was also quoted on as it allows the audience to imagine what is happening and allows them to empathise. This question was helpful as it allowed me to see what drew the audience into the idea. I will now need to look at what the original element of the film is.
Question Three
Did you feel their was a original element and why?
From the question which asked is there a original element of the film which is something that is important as it is a area I need to look at I have got the answers that it is different from typical Slasher films as you don’t actually see anyone being murdered you just hear it which people thought was original. I will now look at the next point and see if there is things that could be improved as this is something that will make my idea more strengthened.
Question Four
Is their any points that would improve and why?
From the question asking about any of the points that could be improved I have found out that two of them said that the content is vague and could be more detailed and this is something that has helped me as it means I need to have a background to the characters more and this could also be described. From my focus group I have also found out that the costume wouldn’t’t be appropriate for the character and would need to be more serious to create the right impression and this is something that I will need to look at for my idea and to develop it more. I will now look at the ending which is always crucial to create the right ending.
Question Five
Did you feel the ending is relevant and if not what would you change?
From everyone I asked they all thought that the ending was relevant and with the cliff-hanger made it more effective. I wanted to know if the end was appropriate as if not it is something that I need to change and I have found out from my focus group that they felt it was appropriate. After asking this question I need to explain the two other ideas to my target audience and to discover their options on what they thought of them all.
Question Six
What did you like about idea two?
From the second idea and asking them what they liked about the idea I had a range of different comments ranging from context to sound and I thought this was interesting as different people noticed a range of things from the idea not just the obvious things. Ben said that “focusing on sound and that the idea sounded a good context” and sound is something used within Slasher films to make them more effective. Another thing that is someone stated was that hearing the baby crying but never actually seeing the baby makes the audience asks questions and this is something which I feel is effective. This person also stated the baby was one of the reasons behind her killing which also creates a atmosphere and allows the audience to ask questions and this is something effective. The next question will be enquiring about the original aspect or if there was within this idea.
Question Seven
Was their a original aspect to the idea?
After asking this question I got the response which had shown me that the idea was original and my reason for asking this question was to discover if people liked it and from this it has shown me they have which was helpful. One of the remarks I found interesting was the use of a killer and “how we can relate to the victim and the killer and this is unusual”, which has enlightened me and this is something interesting. From this question I am now going to look at if there is anything that needs improving for idea two.
Question Eight
Is their any points that would improve and why?
I wanted to ask this question as I need to know what I could do to improve and from the results I have found out that there needs to be more of a background story to the killings and some of the suggestions I got from them was having the killer being connected to the victims such as a old friend “who now cant hang out with them anymore because of the baby” and this is something that I will need to consider and I will think about mentioning this within the film. I will now need ot see if the ending is appropriate and fitted the Slasher genre.
Question Nine
Did you feel the ending was appropriate if not what would you improve?
From peoples opinions asking about if they thought the ending was appropriate and they thought that it makes the “audience think about the baby because you can hear it throughout and makes you think” and this is trying to create a effect which is the right atmosphere for a Slasher film. I am going to explain idea three and ask their opinion on it.
Question Ten
What did you like about idea three?
From this question I have found out that people thought the idea was a “good concept” and that it is “different from every different Slasher film” which I felt was a good response and would intrigue the audience to watch the film because it is different. I am now going to ask if they thought the idea was original.
Question Eleven
Did you feel this idea was original?
The response of this question was positive as everyone from my focus group said that they think the idea was original and that it would work well and this is something that I will look at and consider within my own Slasher film. I am now going to look at anything that could be improved.
Question Twelve
Do you feel the idea needs improving if so why?
After asking this question I have got feedback which is helpful such as when the women is speaking to the victims about losing a object I got the response that if they said they had “lost their child it would be more convincing“ which could be more effective. I also found out that they thought maybe not explaining the ending would also be effective and “if you just see the children go into the house and it end it creates a sense of mystery” which is also another interesting idea. The final question is going to focus on if the ending is appropriate.
Question Thirteen
Do you feel the ending was appropriate?
The main answer I got from this question was that it was appropriate although some people did come up with some other endings such as police or someone like that banging on the door and the film ending there although this could be harder to do within the 10 minute time slot and the problem with using the police although overall I got positive responses and I am now going to ask the final questions to see which one they preferred.
Out of the three ideas which one do you feel would work in the 10 minute space time?
From asking this question I got a straight forward response and everyone I asked said that they said idea three which could be done in the 10 minute slot which has shown me that they thought this idea would work well within the allotted time. I will now ask which one they would prefer to watch out of the three.
Which one would you prefer to watch?
From all of the results I got everyone said that they would prefer to watch the third one if it was made which is showing me that this is what my focus group would like to watch as they have said for the last two questions that they would prefer the third idea.
Do you feel the final idea you have chosen is appropriate and original?
This answer was extremely short as it showed how people liked the idea and thought that the idea is appropriate and they all answered “yes” which has shown me that they liked the idea.
Would you go and watch the film?
I wanted to ask this question as the main reason for making the film is to entertain the audience so I wanted to know if they would watch the film and the answer from my focus group was that “yes” they would and this is a good response.
Overall I wanted to find out what my target audience thought of the three ideas that I proposed and from the responses I have found out that my focus group wanted idea three as a film and this has helped me with establishing the film as I am consulting my target audience constantly to get the correct result.
Example Textual Analysis
16 years ago
The focus group is biased towards the younger end of the target audience so doesn't show how the ideas would appeal to the complete age range. A good effort has been made to consider the responses of the audience for development of the final idea though.
ReplyDelete